Quote of the day, week, month - or whenever I get around to changing it --

I need to get laid - Vickie Moriarity





Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ol' Professor M. had a farm...Eee-iiiiii-eee-iiiii-ohhhh



The chickens from next door have invaded my yard once again.  As I sit here blogging, I see the adolescent chicks running through my garden, waddling around my apple trees, and escaping their mom's henpecking.  Teenage chickens look really strange, awkward, as if they don't really know what kind of bird they are going to become eventually.   They don't yet have clear chicken thighs, and their breast don't stick out like they do when they are older.  They run in any direction, then run back tripping over each other as they free range on my grass. 

My cats don't even do anything about it.  If I weren't so vigilant, I would be chasing fowl from my front room.  If any ever make it into the house, they may walk right into a stew pot, not that my four cats would even notice...at least not until they could smell chicken.


It is hard to believe how many have hatched.  It seems like there is a new batch of them every couple of weeks.  I don't really know what happens to them as I don't see many adult chickens.  I am pretty sure they become the evening meal at my next door neighbor's house.  I wonder how he catches them?

Since the chickens roam the neighborhood eating all the freshly laid grass seed, ripe tomatoes,  and whatever else chicks eat, don't you think the next door neighbor ought to have a block party barbeque where he serves the main course?  Seeing as we have all contributed to his protein intake since he first bought the single rooster and his hen, I do!  I'll bring the chips!

1 comment:

  1. What about shooting them from your bathroom window? I've heard that was effective.

    ReplyDelete

I value your thoughts...Please say hello!