Quote of the day, week, month - or whenever I get around to changing it --

I need to get laid - Vickie Moriarity





Sunday, July 25, 2010

Changing Lives on Facebook and in the Walmart Frozen Food Section

It is so exciting to hear from my students as the summer progresses (ok, wraps up - I wasn't quite ready to admit that yet).  They are actually asking me where they can submit their writing for possible publication.  This is somewhat laughable to me that these kids have so much faith in me as their writing "connection" as I am one of the few from my writing cliques who remains unpaid for their work -- no, I am not bitter or jealous or green -- ok...maybe a little.  But the faith they have in me to help them get published is quite humbling to me.

At any rate, one of my students asked me to help her find outlets for her creativity on facebook.  Who knew that such a social networking could actually lead my students into the world of writing real pieces?  She is a very intelligent young lady who rocks to her own rhythm, something necessary for good writing, in my opinion.  I am always looking for that kid who really doesn't care how others take them - a rare commodity in the 7th grade, let me tell 'ya!  I sent her the link to Creative Communications site where she can send in work for possible publication in their upcoming poetry or essay anthologies.  I have had about four students published in the past.  This site takes everything from above average to stupendous writing.  The standards aren't so high that only future Steinbeck's will be published, so it's a great site for students first starting out.

Another student stopped me in the frozen foods section at Walmart yesterday as I was filling my cart with 88 cent entrees.  He said to me, "You remember that essay I wrote last year?"  I nodded my head and expected yet another berating from him because I didn't score it well at the Academic Bowl.  Even though the writers and scorers are supposed to be anonymous during such competitions, a year of working together pretty much made that impossible.  I recognized the his voice immediately,  and he recognized my comments - apparently my comments have voice, too. 

Anyway, he didn't give me grief about how I scored it this time.  I guess his ego had recovered.  Instead, he asked if I had the address for Teen Ink, a great outlet for teenage writing - writing so good that it dwarfs what little writing talent I possess.  These kids will blow you away.  If you have never read this magazine, I recommend it wholeheartedly.  It restores your faith in the next generation.  I told him I would send him those sites on facebook.  He and I chitchatted a few more minutes as we created a minor traffic jam in the aisle and I began to notice the elderly revving their carts up to run us down, and then we went our separate ways.

Teaching is the best possible job ever!  The ability to influence students is very powerful, and I don't take the responsibility lightly.  These kids believe in themselves as writers, and I do, too.  If and when they are published, it will only further validate what they already know - their words have power and influence on the world around.  I can think of no better way to spend my workdays than helping students recognize the voice they have inside and the importance of their thoughts and ideas!

2 comments:

  1. You are an excellent teacher and so inspiring to us students.

    Guess what I did today? Yup. Worked as a Mystery Worshipper!! I've been busy behind your back. You started this endeavour for me. THANKS TEACH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments.
    Why do the older folks get so aggressive when they're behind the wheels of those carts? They do, don't they!!!
    I sent many kids to TEEN INK. I taught middle and high school (where I headed the English department) (retired from the HS in 2007) -- and while at the middle school piloted a 7th grade readers' workshop and 8th grade writers' workshop. The 8th graders who had been through the readers' workshop were by far more expert in their writing. It AMAZED me. I loved teaching!!! I'm glad you love your job -- students emulate our attitudes!!
    PS I, too, am among the unpaid for my writing:)

    ReplyDelete

I value your thoughts...Please say hello!