Quote of the day, week, month - or whenever I get around to changing it --

I need to get laid - Vickie Moriarity





Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Demand Studios

I applied with Demand Studios, an online freelance company yesterday.  I spent a hour or two refocusing my current resume from teaching to writing.  Apparently, I didn't do that well enough or the writing sample I sent in bored them because I got rejected in less than an hour.  At least they didn't leave me in limbo or anything.  I would have hated to think they were actually considering me for 10 minutes or anything like that.  Stephen King would be proud of me as this is one of many rejection letters I have received this year.  Anyway, my point was that I got to thinking that since I have been writing so much, it couldn't hurt to at least apply. The applying didn't hurt, and the rejection only stung for a while.  The part that hurts is when I start thinking "I suck as a writer".  Then that freaks me out because I teach students how to write for a living. If I can't succeed at writing, then how in world can I teach kids how to write?  Then I have to take many deep, calming breaths, remember that rejection is the norm in writing and move forward. I then remind myself that I teach seventh graders, not college level students.  Then I can focus on more productive thoughts and get of the worthless writer's pity pot.

The reason I applied with Demand Studios is that I wanted to find a way that I wouldn't have to get overly serious about selling Mary Kay, but that prospect is quickly waning.  Bill time showed up, and like God always promises, all bills are covered with about 96 dollars to spare.  (God doesn't promise the $96 part, just that he will give you what you need)  Yea!!!  However, that leaves me pretty lean until the next payday, where the cycle will begin all over again. 


Therefore, today  I will begin creating labels  for my Mary Kay Look booklets and start strategically placing them about the town for maximum exposure.  Who knows, I might make a few friends and increase my clientele.  There could be worse ways to spend my days.  I am pretty lucky.  I don't have to work full time during the summer, I can play with money making ventures, and I have food, shelter, and a really good life.  I spoke with my next door neighbor (their chickens like to peck at my tomato garden - there's an upcoming blog entry for sure), and he has laid off for over three months.  He doesn't have the education I do, so that definitely limits his options.  Yes, I am very lucky and I need to remember that!

2 comments:

  1. Hey I for one really enjoy reading you - You dont suck as a writer! In fact, Yon and Julie have inspired me. I am just trying to educate people and pay it forwad - Your comments would be appreciated ! Undeserving student -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephen! You are too kind!

    ReplyDelete

I value your thoughts...Please say hello!