Quote of the day, week, month - or whenever I get around to changing it --

I need to get laid - Vickie Moriarity





Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Embrace your Jabberwocky!


Apparently, teaching Lewis Carroll's "The Jabberwocky" is rubbing off on me as of late.  If you didn't already know this, "Jabberwocky" was a part of Carroll's book Through the Looking Glass, sequel to Alice in Wonderland.

I am pretty sure that Lewis Carroll dabbled in hallucogenic drugs or was on the outer edges of senility.  Whether his state of mind was one he sought out or one the settled upon him with no outside assistance, you have to admire the way he didn't fight it, but instead embraced it.  I can sort of hear him saying, "What the heck.  I'm losing my mind.  Let's make it fun for everyone!  Just consider my jabberwocky in uffish thought as you rest by this here TumTum tree."

His writings created a entirely new lexicon from which to draw when you can't think of just the right word to fill in the blank.  In fact, the term "jabberwocky" is now a proud member of  Webster's finest and literally means "nonsense language".  I'm not kidding.  Go google it!

Anyway - sorry for the language arts lesson there - I haven't taught my students in almost a week now, and I am beginning to have withdrawals, which may explain my sudden fascination with Lewis Carroll's verbosity.  As a result, it seems that I have started, quite unintentionally,  my own personalized word list.  I hope this doesn't mean I am headed off to restaurant where I am the only diner, but if so, I hope I enjoy the ambience once there.

Here are a few (sorry bloggers, if I have already used them on your blogs).

  1. restivities - noun - What you do before and after attending Christmas and New Year's Eve parties.
  2. lootery  -  noun  - The winnings you receive from any lottery, raffle, contest, etc.
  3. slinding  -  verb  -  what happens to you when you are casually walking along and hit a patch of ice. (I'm not going to lie. Slinding is painful.) 
  4. electricide  - noun  -  murder by electricity bill (what many will suffer due to this cold snap - may God rest our souls.)
Well, I am about to venture forth into the brillig morning and see what new words I will encounter this day.  I hope they are friendly, unlike bandersnatches and Jubjub birds, but if not ... I will keep my vorpal sword close at hand and, snicker-snack, off with their prefixes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your thoughts...Please say hello!