Quote of the day, week, month - or whenever I get around to changing it --

I need to get laid - Vickie Moriarity





Saturday, June 19, 2010

Perfect Saturdays

What a fabulous day!  The meteorologists (fancy name for weathermen) forecasted 95 and humid today...I don't think it was much past 85 and dry!  I sat outside and read a book all afternoon, watched a movie, and topped that off with a fabulous walk.  Days like this are heaven.

Book of the Day:  Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kinsolver.  Man, can that lady write descriptively!  Check out the opening lines of the book:

     Women on their own run in Alice's family.  This dawns on her with the undindness of a heart attack and she sits up in bed to get a closer look at her thoughts, which have collectred abover her in the dark.

What a powerful and creative ways to say Alice was thinking about something!  Kingsolver always had an excerpt or two in all the middle school anthologies I used when I first started out, but the publishers never picked stuff like that, or maybe I was too green to realize just how amazing she was back then.  Anyway, she lived in eastern Kentucky, then moved to Tucson, Arizona where she now resides which is probably why it her books feel like home to me.  Her details are spot on!  The plot of this story is very good and seems to take some from the plot of The Beanfield, the book which launched her career.

Movie of the Day:  The Book of Eli - Best post-apocolyptic movie I have seen in a while.  Plus, Denzel simply rocks!  I thought the premise was pretty interesting.  I won't say much more as I don't want to spoil it for any of you who haven't seen it.  I did think it was better than The Road, another survival after the world pretty much is nothing but rubble movie.

Well, I am off to play some mindless computer game and then call it a night.  What a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your thoughts...Please say hello!