Quote of the day, week, month - or whenever I get around to changing it --

I need to get laid - Vickie Moriarity





Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lucille Ball Moments

As I was reading Jules's blog this early morning (my sleep schedule no longer exists), I had to laugh out loud at her Lucille Ball moment with the door.  Ahhh, how refreshing to hear someone crack up at their own crazy mishaps instead of stomping around in anger and misery.  Utterly delightful! 

I have had so many of these incidents from my own life that it got me thinking maybe the Lucille Ball show should be resurrected.  That show was such innocent, endless hilarity.  I could provide material for many a new episod, such as my encounter with the CANDLES one Christmas. 

It was a fabulous winter weekend (I know that because my husband was watching football and snow was falling outside), and I decided to dust.  I hadn't done this recently as school had been in session, but I was enjoying some much needed free time thanks to Christmas break.  I got out the Endust and a clean towel and began dusting everything in sight.  I love how everything shines and smells after a good dusting.

 I came to the shelf near the Christmas tree and noticed that an ornament had fallen off (or more likely been knocked off by one of our adventurous cats), so I bent down, grabbed it,
           and stood up...
                                 right into the shelf above me. 

That might have been ok except it wasn't firmly screwed into the wall... and ... there were three large candles that had been burning for several hours sitting on the shelf.  When I hit that shelf with the force of a NASA launch, the candles jumped into air releasing three hours worth of melted wax into the air.  What goes up must come down, and all that wax did.  Some ended up on the wall and floor, but most of it ended up in my hair.  Now I have heard of hot wax treatments at spas, but I don't think this particular treatment would be popular unless you are Sinead O'Connor or Britney Spears. 

The wax quickly cooled and clumped.  I felt a bit like Carrie at the prom just blinking quite in shock about the latest Lucille Ball moment in my life. I reached up and felt my matted locks now superglued to by brain.  I felt my neck begin to stiffen as the wax began to cool. 

Then I just started laughing.  My husband couldn't figure out what had happened, but it didn't take too long when he turned to look at me.  He didn't find this quite as funny as I did at first.  "What in the hell are you doing?"  quickly followed by "Are you ok?"  He did his best to help me get wax out of my hair, but it soon became apparent this was a one woman repair job. 

It took many, many hot showers to melt that wax from my hair, and I was still picking it from my hair here and there until New Year's Day.  Thank goodness I didn't take myself too seriously that day, and I have the ability to amuse myself the way I do.  This became one of our favorite Christmas memories and was retold each Christmas to friends during Yuletide events.  This was one of those memories I will store away for happy occasions that reminds me to lighten up and laugh at myself.



Sometime I'll have to tell you about the parking meter...then maybe I'll tell you about the wallaby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your thoughts...Please say hello!